Date: February 7, 2020
Last week a group of pastors in Wuhan issued an appeal for Chinese Christians to fast and pray for the coronavirus epidemic. We received a translated version of the appeal, along with permission to post it. Please join our brothers and sisters in prayer for the situation in Wuhan.
An Urgent Appeal to Chinese Christians for Fasting and Prayer
United Prayer Group of Church Pastors in Wuhan
# The Cry of the Wuhan Churches in a Time of Distress #
United Prayer Group of Church Pastors in Wuhan Appeals to Chinese Christians for Three Days of Fasting and Prayer.
Dear pastors, brothers, and sisters of all churches:
Greetings to you in the name of our Lord!
Recently a serious outbreak of plague in Wuhan has caused extreme fear and panic among many people. Every day the number of confirmed or suspected cases of coronavirus keeps growing; hospital beds, medical and protective equipment are in severe shortage; doctors, nurses, and police have been working under great pressure day and night. At this time of hardship, we pastors and believers could not do much to help. The only thing we can do is to intercede with the Lord and pray, for it is his command and promise. He urges that “supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions.” (1 Timothy 2:1, 2)
When disasters strike, the Lord said:
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayer that is made in this place. (2 Chronicles 7: 14-15)
When the Jews faced great danger, Queen Esther appealed to all the Jews to fast and pray with her for three days and three nights.
Brothers and sisters, prayer is a privilege God has given us, and also a duty we Christians should perform. Let’s come together with one heart and mind to pray for Wuhan, for China, and for the world.
Pray that God remembers his kindness and mercy and will stop the spreading of the plague, heal the infected patients, strengthen the medical workers and civil servants who are working day and night on the front line to battle against the plague, and give wisdom and insight to scientists to speed up their drug research and development.
For this purpose, United Prayer Group of Church Pastors in Wuhan appeals to all Christians to fast and pray for three days. Let’s stand between the dead and the living and repair the breaches from the disaster with our holy prayers.
We ask you to lift up holy hands in prayers: to intercede, repent, confess sins, and pray on behalf of Wuhan and China that the plague will stop soon.
- Pray for authorities in our country to take wise, scientific, and proper control measures to prevent the plague from spreading.
- Pray for medical and scientific researchers in China and across the globe to be inspired by the grace of God and able to accelerate the research and development of medicines which can be quickly used on the front line to prevent and cure the epidemic.
- Pray for the related departments in the Wuhan government to be wise and capable in epidemic control and prevention, to provide sufficiently for local people’s needs, and to manifest reverence for life, and thereby minimize the loss of lives and properties in Wuhan during the plague.
- Pray for sufficient supplies of medical and protective equipment in Wuhan hospitals; pray that God strengthens the medical staff physically and mentally and protects them from the virus; pray for their health and peace for their families.
- Pray for all the staff who are working day and night on the front line of the fight against the epidemic, pray that God strengthens them physically and mentally, gives each of them a peaceful heart and a healthy body.
- Pray for the construction of the two specialized hospitals for coronavirus pneumonia and for the opening of more inpatient wards.
- Pray for the repentance of churches in Wuhan for all their sins that have displeased God. Pray for oneness among churches in Wuhan; pray that they stand stronger and firmer during the plague, and that they desire to seek God more, Pray for Christians to preach the gospel with more spiritual fervor, lead people to believe in the Lord, and be a glorious testimony of the Lord.
- Pray for all the quarantined patients and their families. Pray for all patients suspected or confirmed with coronavirus infection yet are still being quarantined in their homes and for their families. Pray for all patients who need to go to hospitals due to various illnesses and for their families.
- Pray for all kinds of supplies donated by domestic and overseas governments, institutes, or individuals to support the front line of epidemic control and prevention. Pray to God that all supplies can be smoothly delivered to the designated departments or individuals. May the Lord remember their offerings, love, and toil.
- Pray that, in face of the epidemic, churches and citizens in Wuhan support each other emotionally, financially, and spiritually through prayer. May there be love, affection, and spirit between one another and all live out the virtues.
- Pray for the physical, emotional, and spiritual health and the spiritual supplies of the members of all churches and their families. May God give the shepherds of churches wisdom, power, and strategy to know how to lead their church at such a special time.
United Prayer Group of Church Pastors in Wuhan
February 1, 2020
This appeal was also posted to Chinese social media and YouTube on February 1.