Date: April 2, 2021
|Elder Zhang Chunlei (middle) with his family,
(Photo: ChinaAid resource)
(Guiyang, Guizhou Province—April 02, 2021) On April 01, Chengdu Early Rain Covenant Church published a prayer request letter asking Christians to continue to pray for God’s protection on Elder Zhang Chunlei and Renai Reformed Church. Although Chinese Communist Party (CCP) authorities have criminally detained Elder Zhang, "suspected of “crime of fraud," since March 16, due to the failure of the department handling his case to issue an approval, detention center personnel rejected the request of Elder Zhang lawyer to meet with him.
Chengdu Early Rain Covenant Church notes that the Chinese government routinely fabricates political or economic accusations, attempting to coverup its persecution against Christians. Some of the most frequently-used charges:
- inciting subversion of state power,
- illegal businessoperation,
- disturbing the peace, and
Several Christians the CCP targeted for fabricated charges include:
- Suspected “crime of fraud: Elder Zhang Chunle.
- “Inciting subversion of state power” and “illegal business operation”: Pastor Wang Yi, Chengdu Early Rain Covenant Church.
- Illegal business operation”: Elder Qin Defu.
- "Divulging state secrets”: Pastor Yang Hua of Guiyang Huoshi Church.
- “Gathering a crowd to disturb public order”: Pastor Huang Yizi.
- "Organizing others to illegally cross the border": Pastor Cao Sanqiang.
- "Embezzlement,” “obstructing government administration,” and “destruction of accounting records”: Pastor Li Juncai.
- “Divulging state secrets”: Pastor Yang Hua of Guiyang Huoshi Church.
Although authorities regularly fabricate these types of charges, the court usually ignores the lawyer's evidence. The court even predetermines the length of a person's sentence.
One Christian recounts:
Elder Zhang, my friend for more than ten years, does not get involved in politics. He focuses on building the church. The local government has released the other church members they recently detained, but they have refused to set Elder Zhang free....
Chengdu Early Rain Covenant Church wrote in the prayer request letter regarding Elder Zhang:
We pray God shows mercy on this generation where light is called darkness and darkness is called light, and good is called evil, and evil is called good.
We also ask our brothers and sisters to pray for government officials of Guizhou Province. Please pray for God to give them a God-fearing heart and that they will no longer use their God-given authority for personal gain, nor discard their conscience, and violate the law.
May the Lord be with Elder Zhang Chunlei.
~ Report by Yubing, ChinaAid Special Correspondent
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
~ Isaiah 5:20 (NKJV)
China Aid exposes abuses in order to stand in solidarity with the persecuted and promote religious freedom, human rights, and rule of law. If you wish to partner with us in helping those persecuted by the Chinese government, please click the button below to make a charitable donation.