Date: April 2, 2022
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)
This verse reminds us that every follower of Jesus is now a new creation. And with that new life, we have been given a new purpose: to do good works in the world.
We are called to love others through our actions and to stand alongside those who are suffering – no matter what differences may exist between us.
This morning, please join us in remembering the Shia Muslim community in Pakistan, who are suffering following a bomb attack four weeks ago.
- Pray for victims and survivors
On 4 March a suicide bomber opened fire on police outside a Shia mosque in Peshawar, before entering the building and detonating a bomb. At least 63 people were killed and over 200 others were injured in the blast, which was later claimed by an affiliate group of Islamic State.
- Please pray for the healing and comfort of all who were affected by this horrific attack.
- Pray for better protections
Even though Prime Minister Imran Khan has condemned the Peshawar bombing, we are concerned that government narratives are fuelling division in Pakistan and emboldening extremists to commit acts of violence against religious minority communities.
Mob violence, attacks on religious communities, hate speech and religious intolerance have increased dramatically in recent years. While we have seen statements of condemnation in some of these cases, the government has not taken effective action to protect religious and sectarian minorities.
In summary, please pray:
- For full healing for the hundreds who were injured in the bombing.
- For comfort and peace for all who are mourning the loss of a loved one.
- That Imran Khan and his government will increase protections for all minority communities who are at risk of religiously motivated violence.