Date: December 12, 2022
U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom Hearing
China’s Religious Freedom Violations: Domestic Repression and Malign Influence Abroad
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Please join the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) for a virtual hearing on China’s religious freedom violations. The hearing will explore two interrelated aspects: the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) government’s violations of religious freedom and repression of religious communities, in country and abroad. In addition, the hearing will highlight China’s malign foreign influence through lobbying efforts in the United States, which has had religious freedom implications.
Witnesses will provide overviews on the Chinese government’s religious freedom violations affecting various religious communities in China and overseas, as well as policy recommendations for countering the Chinese government’s systematic, ongoing, and egregious religious freedom violations.
- Senator Marco Rubio, U.S. Senate (R-Florida)
- Nury Turkel, Chair, USCIRF
- Abraham Cooper, Vice Chair, USCIRF
- Frank Wolf, Commissioner, USCIRF
- Yaqiu Wang, Senior China Researcher, Human Rights Watch
- Bhuchung K. Tsering, Interim President, International Campaign for Tibet
- Louisa Greve, Director of Global Advocacy, Uyghur Human Rights Project
- Bob Fu, Ph.D., President and Founder, ChinaAid Association
- Zack Smith, Legal Fellow, Meese Center for Legal and Judicial Studies, Heritage Foundation