Date: October 28, 2023
‘In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.’ (Matthew 5:16)
Pray today for Pastor Keshav Acharya in Nepal, who is in prison for proselytising (converting or attempting to convert another person).
The Supreme Court recently upheld his one-year sentence, which suggests a concerning direction for freedom of religion or belief in Nepal.
For example, even entering a conversation about one’s religion could risk being interpreted as an attempt to convert others.
Why was Pastor Keshav arrested?
Pastor Keshav was initially arrested in March 2020 after a video clip was shared online, in which he said that COVID-19 could be healed through prayer.
The pastor denied uploading the video, but was convicted of proselytization in November 2021. He was subsequently sentenced to two years in prison by the District Court in 2021. In July 2022, his sentence was reduced to one year by the High Court.
In summary, please pray:
- For Pastor Keshav’s safety and health as he serves his remaining sentence.
- For peace and encouragement for his family during this time.
- That Pastor Keshav will be allowed to continue his work without hindrance or further injustice.
- That the situation for religious minorities in Nepal will improve.
- Pray especially that the government’s will to protect the rights and freedoms of religious minorities will not be negatively influenced, for example by far-right religious groups.